Sunday, March 1, 2009

Its Not as Bad as I Thought...

Phew!! The guys at work accepted me real quick. Friday afternoon we were all sitting around talking like we had been friends for a while. At that point I knew everything would be 'ok'. I am very excited to be there more often. The atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming.

My other job is as a waitress at a local Italian restaurant in Westboro, MA. I thought I would tell you this because it is the complete opposite of my job as a flight instructor. The entire waitstaff are women, therefore I am constantly surrounded by the same gender which is what I have become accustomed to over the past two years. It is a very different atmosphere. I have never been one to get in with a clique. It's not my type of thing. When working at the restaurant there is a clique and it is very annoying, but because i have been around long enough i brush it off and don't get involved. The first few months I worked at the restaurant I felt like the 'outcast', it took a long time to feel accepted. After two years I am accepted, but not interested in getting involved with the clique. At my job in New Bedford, MA as a Flight Instructor I felt welcomed after one week! This brings me to the conclusion, girls will be girls and guys will be guys. Girls will always have their cliques and guys don't even bother to form such groups. I enjoy the change in atmosphere from one job to the next and it also lets me analyze how different the two genders do behave.

2 comments:

  1. Great cultural experience you are involved in! In addition your percieved status is quite different.

    Notes:
    'ok' 'outcast' " not '

    "I thought I would tell you" Who is the "you" you imagine is reading?

    enough i brush; the restaurant I felt like the; ford, MA as comma errors

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief! I'm sure it will get easier. There are always good things and bad things about a job, good days and bad ones. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete